Friday, December 5, 2008

New name....

Today I became a new person. I had been called his new person's name a couple of time but today I made it legal. I changed my last name from my maiden name to my married one. It feels strange. I had been who I was for 25 years. I was my father's only child and a girl. I knew one day I'd get married and I'd be changing my name. When the time came I feel some how like I was letting my parents down. That some how changing my name meant that I wasn't their little girl anymore. Guys don't really understand what that means they go on being Mr. X after their married while the woman gives up a part of who she was to take on a title of who she is. I had originally wanted to keep my maiden name. I liked it. It was me. It was familiar and everyone already knew me as that. I had bank accounts, bills, and my notary license in that name. I was my father's daughter in that name.

In the end I caved, not to society's pressure but to the joy of my husband. While testing out if I liked the name I signed something in it, with a scribble of a unfamiliar cursive, Daniel was very happy to see it in print. That his wife took his last name. I was happy that he was happy. It meant something to me that he was happy. So in the end I took his last name I became me, only with a new last name. And I'm okay with that.

No comments: