Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Why I'm a Lousy Tipper.


I've been reading online about how waiters hate customers who are lousy tippers. They lament that people stiff them on their hard earned tip. I am one of those people. Here's my side of the lousy tipper story.

I'm only a lousy tipper if YOU are a lousy waiter.

Doing only basic waiter work earns a basic tip. A basic tip is *gasp* 10%. Yup that's right, I'm a 10% tipper. Remember when 10% was the norm. Somehow that has inched up to 20%.

If you add a little extra then I add a little extra....15%. By a little extra I mean, get me soda refills without me having flag you down like I'm landing a plane on The Kennedy. Also check on me to make sure I don't want extra (fill in the blank). That's not asking for much.

Then there are those special people that earn the 20%. Those are the waiters that LIKE their job. Are friendly, make a joke or two. I don't care if it's fake fawning. I'm eating out. Having someone else cook the food and serve it to me is the REASON we eat out. I want a happy upbeat person who is nice and friendly waiting on my table.

So waiters if your not making 20% then maybe there is a reason you're not making 20%. I as a customer is not gonna be guilted into giving you more then you earned.

So I ask dear readers where do you fall in the tip debate. Blanket tipper where everyone gets 20% or do you have your own system?

1 comment:

Erin said...

I can second this... but see, I might be worse because I used to wait tables myself and my mentality is, "if I can do it at 16, why can't you do it at 25 or 30???"