Friday, October 17, 2008

Vote NO on #2

I'm not really the one to voice my opinion on politics but something got me about this amendment. It's a amendment to make marriage between a man and a woman with "no  other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent  thereof shall be valid or recognized."

Now looking at that you'd think well that makes sense until you dig deeper. What about that couple that has been living together for  years while she's in school waiting to save up for the big dream wedding. What about the engaged couple who legal are two single people. They would be forced to give up their rights as a Domestic Partnership. 

Domestic Partnership protects people and gives them rights. It allows them to visit their love one's in the hospital. Right now if something happened to Daniel I could claim he is my Domestic Partner and visit him in the hospital, BUT if that law is passed I would have no legal rights. With this law I am a legal stranger. I would have to wait until someone in his family came, I would be alone and he would be alone waiting. Like so many other unmarried couples.
     

That hits home. Daniel and I aren't a gay couple. but this amendment would hurt people who aren't married. That means regardless of sex or sexual orientation.

There are other states that have passed similar laws and they found out it has far reaching effects. From hospital rights to domestic violence. For example Ohio's amendment was used as a defense against a domestic violence charge. The defendant used the amendment's strict definition of "marriage" to argue that his relationship with his longtime live-in girlfriend didn't meet the standard, and therefore no domestic violence charge was valid.

Not to mention we already have FOUR statute's on the books that ban same sex marriages.

People don't be fooled by a title that makes you feel good about a law. Learn what they are really about.

     


http://sayno2.com

No comments: