Monday, September 28, 2009

So what do you do now?

That question is one of the most difficult questions that I get now whenever I run into old friends or co-workers.

What do I tell them? The truth? A lie?

Normally I reply "Nothing." with a follow up of "I'm a housewife." Truth be told I LOVE the role of being the housewife. I really do get a high level of happiness with taking care of the house, cleaning, cooking, decorating, ironing and entertaining. I watch Martha Stewart( and read her magazine and follow her on Twitter) and Rachael Ray. I spend time looking at recipes. I read Retro Housewife. I'm flourishing in the role.

The problem comes from the person asking the question. Normally they make a silent "oh" or comment about "Oh I want your life" which implies I sit at home eating bon bons while watching Springer. Sometimes people comment "Slacker" with a laugh.

I always end up feeling bad. When did becoming a housewife mean not doing anything with your life? Why do people think that just because I don't have a job outside of the home that I don't work? When did homemaker become a four letter word?

I've been lucky that Daniel earns enough to allow me to stay home and not work. We live modestly and make smart money decisions. I'm not a big shopper, I still have money on gifts cards that I got for Christmas. All in all this works for us.

I just wish people would stop thinking that somehow I've gone back in time to the 50's and that women who stay home don't do anything. We work very hard everyday just like our sisters who go to the office, we just don't have the paycheck to show for it.


According to Salary.com my yearly paycheck would be: $31,943

No comments: